$790,000 to Enhance Community Infrastructure and Recreation in NipissingAugust 17, 2023
Province investing in municipal facility upgrades
NIPISSING – Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced that the Ontario government is investing more than $790,000 through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) to four community enhancement projects in Nipissing. This investment will improve municipal and recreational infrastructure, promote tourism and enhance quality of life for northerners.
“Through targeted investments, our government is committed to revitalizing community infrastructure in Nipissing,” said MPP Vic Fedeli. “We are focused on keeping our northern communities relevant and current, making them attractive places to live, work, play and do business.”
NOHFC Funding breakdown is as follows:
- $373,000 for the Municipality of East Ferris to create a seven km hardtop bicycle and walking path that will link MacPherson Drive to the Voyageur Route and the Corbeil Recreation Hub.
- $180,000 for the Municipality of Callander to build a washroom and shower facility available year-round at the municipal marina.
- $135,000 for the Township of Mattawan to renovate the community hall
- $105,000 for the Near North Trail Association to carry out four trail infrastructure improvements.
“We are so grateful to see continued investment into Callander’s plans and strategies. The addition of this washroom/shower facility at the docks on Lansdowne has been planned for some time and will become an attraction for visitors to the area, and a destination for boaters on Lake Nipissing.” – Rob Noon, Mayor of Callander.
“Thank you to the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) for their support of the East Ferris Active Transportation Plan. This funding will further connect East Ferris and Trout Lake pedestrians and cyclists to the 645-km Voyageur Cycling Route developing in Ontario’s Near North.” – Pauline Rochefort, Mayor of East Ferris.
“The $135,000 funding we are receiving from NOHFC for the rehabilitation of our community hall and garage will ensure that as a municipality, we will be able to continue to serve and support our residents. We deeply appreciate MPP Vic Fedeli’s support for this funding, and his continuing support of our township as our Member of Provincial Parliament” – Peter Murphy, Mayor of Mattawan.
“OFSC District 11 welcomes this funding from the NOHFC to complete four important infrastructure and trail rehabilitation projects. These improvements will enhance the safety and maintain the connectivity of the area’s snowmobile trails. On behalf of the dedicated volunteers of the North Bay Snowmobilers Club, the West Nipissing Snowmobile Club, the South Shore Restoule Snowmobile Club and the Mattawa and Area Snowmobile Club, I thank the provincial government for ensuring snowmobiling remains the largest contributor to our local winter economy.” – John Miler, President/Governor, Near North Trail Association/ OFSC District 11.
The NOHFC promotes economic prosperity across Northern Ontario by providing financial assistance to projects—big and small, rural and urban—that stimulate growth, job creation and skills development. Since June 2018, the NOHFC has invested more than $685 million in 5,656 projects in Northern Ontario, leveraging more than $2.3 billion in investment and creating or sustaining over 9,000 jobs.
- The Ontario government launched new and improved NOHFC programs that support more projects in rural northern communities and make it easier for more people and businesses to apply. The programs target existing and emerging markets, provide more work opportunities for Indigenous people and address the skilled labour shortage in the North.
- The NOHFC, Northern Development Offices and Small Business Enterprise Centres are available to support northern communities, businesses and other stakeholders in identifying economic development opportunities and assist in accessing government funding programs.
- The NOHFC’s Community Enhancement Program builds strong and resilient northern communities through targeted investments in critical infrastructure.