Over $3.4 Million to Expand Local Businesses and Create JobsMay 12, 2023
NIPISSING – Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced that the Ontario government is investing over $3.4 million to eight economic development projects through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC). This funding will support Northern businesses and help create 74 full-time jobs in the region.
“Supporting community and businesses development creates jobs, keeps our region competitive and attracts new investment,” said MPP Vic Fedeli. “Our government is helping companies and communities thrive and providing real opportunities for the people of the Nipissing District.”
The NOHFC is funding the following projects:
- $1,100,000 for Nexco Inc to develop innovative explosive products for the mining and construction industries that are greener for the environment.
- $775,000 for Corexplore Drilling Services to purchase two additional drills and supports equipment for surface mining and exploration projects.
- $524,000 for Martel & Mitchell Rehabilitation to purchase equipment, renovate existing facility and build and adjoining new workspace.
- $400,000 for Redpath Mining to build an additional facility to increase repair work capacity
- $296,000 for Bur Oak Resources Inc. – to build a net zero manufacturing facility
- $200,000 for the Capitol Centre to replace aging infrastructure
- $94,000 for Fur Harvesters Auction Inc to renovate the purchase equipment.
- $90,000 for Mincon Canada to purchase equipment and renovate facility.
“NOHFC funding support has been vital to our clinic expansion project. Our new clinical space has allowed us to recruit and hire three new regulated health professionals this year and grow our team and expand our rehabilitation service offerings.” – Michael Mitchell, President of Martel and Mitchell Rehabilitation Inc.
“Nexco is dedicated to developing next-generation explosives that could revolutionize not only Ontario’s mining industry but also create global opportunities. These innovative explosives promise cost savings, improved performance, and enhanced environmental and safety benefits. NOHFC’s support has been vital in helping us bridge the gap between concept and commercial production as we continue to explore this promising technology.” – John Burrows, President of Nexco Inc.
“Mincon Canada would like to thank the Ontario government and NOHFC for their continued support with funding towards the purchase of new and innovative equipment for our manufacturing facility. This equipment will improve our production efficiency and increase our capacity to produce product at a more affordable cost. The increase in productivity will create an opportunity for existing employees to expand their skilled trades experience and create new jobs in this field.” – Charlene Ylimaki, General Manager, Mincon Canada
“We are immensely grateful to NOHFC for this generous grant which has allowed us to build a state-of-the-art facility in North Bay. This investment not only strengthens our commitment to creating jobs and economic growth in the region, but also underscores our unwavering dedication to innovation and excellence in the mining industry,” said Kevin Melong, Vice President, Shafts and Technical Services, Redpath Canada Limited
“This NOHFC grant will allow us to move forward with upgrades and repairs to key infrastructure elements, including HVAC systems, windows, and doors. These systems will help our heritage building operate in a more energy-efficient manner and reduce our environmental impact while continuing to provide an accessible space that inspires, creates, and showcases performing and visual art forms.” – Katina Connolly, Executive Director, Capitol Centre.
“This news of Fur Harvesters Auction Inc receiving NOHFC funding comes at a very opportune time. Since 2020 we have been experiencing tremendous growth and this funding will be put to very good use in our planned expansion of the fur auction facility.” – Mark Downey, CEO of the Fur Harvesters Auction Inc.
“Corexplore would like to thank NOHFC and the Ontario government for assisting in purchasing 2 additional clean-tech surface coring drills and support equipment to add to our fleet. Our drills are currently operating in Northern Ontario. This project help create 16 full-time permanent jobs for hard working Northerns.”- David Jones, President of Corexplore Drilling Services.
“Bur Oak Resources Inc. is proud to be part of the growing renewable energy industry and leader in the North. We have been providing innovative custom energy solutions for our clients, helping them gain energy independence and security; and this new facility will allow us to significantly expand our offerings.” – Lance Johnson, President of Bur Oak Resources.
The NOHFC promotes economic prosperity across Northern Ontario by providing financial assistance to projects—big and small, rural and urban—that stimulate growth, job creation and skills development. Since June 2018, the NOHFC has invested more than $639 million in 5,265 projects in Northern Ontario, leveraging more than $2 billion in investment and creating or sustaining over 8,420 jobs.
- The Ontario government launched new and improved NOHFC programs that support more projects in rural northern communities and make it easier for more people and businesses to apply. The programs target existing and emerging markets, provide more work opportunities for Indigenous people and address the skilled labour shortage in the North.
- The NOHFC, Northern Development Offices and Small Business Enterprise Centres are available to support northern communities, businesses and other stakeholders in identifying economic development opportunities and assist in accessing government funding programs.