Over $567,000 for Community Infrastructure in West NipissingMarch 17, 2023
WEST NIPISSING – Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced that the Ontario government is investing $567,500 to two West Nipissing infrastructure projects through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) Community Enhancement Program. This investment will expand access to recreational and community activities and improve quality of life for northerners.
“Our government is enhancing community infrastructure in West Nipissing to provide a higher quality of life for the residents that live here,” said MPP Vic Fedeli. “We will continue to foster a strong future in our region by supporting economic growth and reaffirming the North as a great place to call home.”
The following NOHFC projects include:
- $500,000 for the Municipality of West Nipissing to upgrade infrastructure at the Field Skating Rink.
- $67,500 for Centre Communautaire de Lavigne to replace their septic holding tank.
“It’s exciting to see this volunteer-led project move forward. I want to thank our provincial government for this significant contribution towards the outdoor rink project in Field. The funding from NOHFC will allow us to support the efforts of our community volunteers, who have been fundraising for years to bring improvements to the rink. The addition of a roof, along with a new rink surface, boards and lights, will extend the life and use of this community gem for years to come.” – Mayor Kathleen Rochon, West Nipissing.
“The funding received has helped and enabled the Lavigne Community Centre to replace the septic system and ensures that the community centre can continue to operate as a pillar in the community of Lavigne in terms of recreation, culture, athleticism and community services. The community centre is an important asset in the community of Lavigne and surrounding area, and the support ensures that the infrastructure in place will continue to serve the community for many years to come.” – Daniel Corriveau, President, Lavigne Community Centre.
The NOHFC promotes economic prosperity across Northern Ontario by providing financial assistance to projects—big and small, rural and urban—that stimulate growth, job creation and skills development. Since June 2018, the NOHFC has invested more than $608 million in 5,070 projects in Northern Ontario, leveraging more than $1.93 billion in investment and creating or sustaining over 8,100 jobs.
- In 2021, the Ontario government launched new and improved NOHFC programs that support more projects in rural northern communities and make it easier for more people and businesses to apply. The programs target existing and emerging markets, provide more work opportunities for Indigenous people and address the skilled labour shortage in the North.
- The NOHFC, Northern Development Offices and Small Business Enterprise Centres are available to support northern communities, businesses and other stakeholders in identifying economic development opportunities and assist in accessing government funding programs.
- The NOHFC’s Community Enhancement Program builds strong and resilient northern communities through targeted investments in critical infrastructure.