Ontario Supports OPP’s Mobile Response TeamsMarch 11, 2022
NORTH BAY – Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced that the Ontario government is improving public safety and supports for people in crisis by investing $168,750 into the North Bay OPP Detachment’s Mobile Crisis Response team.
“Mobile Crisis Response Teams are best positioned to respond to people experiencing a mental health or addictions crisis in and to de-escalate situations that could pose a risk to public safety in our area,” said Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing. “This new grant program will expand the OPP’s ability to deliver appropriate services and underlines our government’s commitment to public safety.”
Mobile Crisis Response Teams consist of police officers and crisis workers working together to respond to complex situations where mental health or addictions may be a factor. Supported by the police, crisis workers determine whether an individual in crisis should be sent to an emergency department for treatment and are equipped to provide connections to community programming and supports to address an individual’s physical and mental well-being over the longer term.
The Mobile Crisis Response Teams Enhancement Grant is part of Ontario’s Roadmap to Wellness to build Ontario’s mental health and addictions system and complements the government’s earlier commitments to protect people’s health and enhance mobile crisis intervention teams across the province to help build a province where all people feel safe and protected.
- All municipal and First Nations police services, as well as the OPP were eligible to apply for funding.
- Maximum funding for each project is $120,000 per fiscal year for a total of $240,000 over two years. However, additional funding may be granted pending considerations such as geography and local service system features that impact service delivery costs.
- Police services are required to track and collect provincially identified outcomes as well as identify their own local performance measures based on their projects.
- Mobile Crisis Response Team Enhancement Grants Recipients
- Ontario Expanding Mental Health Supports for the OPP
- Ontario Increasing Mental Health Supports for Indigenous Peoples, Families and Communities
- Ontario Expanding OPP Crisis Call Diversion Program