Ontario Improves Accessibility at Northeastern YMCA’sAugust 17, 2021
NORTHEASTERN ONTARIO – Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced that the Ontario government is investing $231,000 into the renovation and renewal of the elevators at both the North Bay and Sudbury YMCA locations. This funding will increase community accessibility to those facilities. Funding is provided through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program’s Community, Culture and Recreation Stream.
“Local community infrastructure is key to the vitality of our communities in northeastern Ontario,” said Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing. “The accessibility upgrades for the YMCA in both North Bay and Sudbury, will ensure that this remains a truly inclusive community space for everyone to enjoy.”
These projects include replacing the existing two elevators at the Sudbury location and the one person lift at the North Bay location, with a full-service elevator. The new elevator at the North Bay location will accommodate more than one person at a time and is modernized to meet the participants’ needs.
Ontarians are feeling the impacts of COVID-19 on their families, their livelihoods, and their way of life. Our government is taking decisive action to support families, businesses and communities to ensure community infrastructure is safe and reliable, while looking ahead to see what more can be done in these unprecedented times.
- Through the Investing in Canada Plan, the federal government is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
- Ontario is investing $10.2 billion under the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program to improve public transit; community, culture and recreation; green, and rural and northern community and other priority infrastructure.
- Across Ontario, the Government of Canada has invested more than $14.4 billion in over 3,900 infrastructure projects since 2015 under the Investing in Canada Plan.
- Across Canada, since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Canada has contributed $9.7 billion to 3,500 infrastructure projects.
- Across the province and over the next 10 years, Ontario is investing approximately $320 million and Canada is investing approximately $407 million under the Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program. This stream supports the construction of new facilities and upgrades to existing facilities that improve community infrastructure (community centres, libraries), recreational venues (arenas, recreational spaces) and cultural spaces (theatres, museums).
- Canada and Ontario Invest Over $1.2 million in Six Community and Recreation Projects in Central and Northern Ontario
- Supportive quotations on community and recreation projects
- Federal infrastructure investments in Ontario
- Investing in Canada Plan Project Map
- Ontario Builds Project Map