$1.3 Million to Support Children and Youth with Special NeedsAugust 10, 2021
NORTH BAY – Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing is pleased to announce that the Ontario government is investing $1,307,740 into two North Bay organizations which will increase access to critical rehabilitation services and outcomes for children and youth with special needs and their families across Nipissing.
“Our government is taking action to ensure our children have access to the services they need to put them on a successful path in life,” said Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing. “This investment will have an immediate and significant positive impact for service delivery in Nipissing.”
The following organizations receiving new investments as part of the $60 million in new annual funding include the following:
- $1,141,145 for One Kids Place
- $166,595 for the North Bay Regional Health Centre
As part of this investment, $60 million in new funding will be provided annually starting this year to build additional service capacity and increase access to preschool speech and language services and community-based and school-based rehabilitation services across the province.
The Ontario government is investing $240 million over four years to increase access to critical rehabilitation services for children and youth with special needs and help them live happier and healthier lives. This investment is part of the 2021 Budget, Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy.
- When children in Ontario begin school, almost 30 per cent have at least one developmental vulnerability that could pose a risk to their lifelong health, learning, and behaviour.
- Early intervention and children’s rehabilitation services are provided through Preschool Speech and Language Program | Ontario.ca
- In 2019-20, more than 53,000 children received services through Ontario’s Preschool Speech and Language Program.
- Children’s Treatment Centres also provided School-Based Rehabilitation Services for 71,000 students in publicly funded schools in 2019-20. Over 110,000 children and youth received rehabilitation services (occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech-language pathology) through Children’s Treatment Centres in community-based settings.
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy, brings total investments to $16.3 to protect people’s health and 23.3 billion to protect our economy. Ontario’s COVID-19 action plan support now totals $51 billion.