News


Ontario Investing $2.6 Million for 35 beds at NBRHC

October 27, 2020

NORTH BAY – Today, Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing announced that the North Bay Regional Health Centre will receive $2,642,500. This funding will support the creation of 35 temporary transitional ALC beds for a 5-month period.

“By investing in more frontline patient care our government continues to provide a critical role to end hallway health care in Nipissing,” said MPP Fedeli. “This funding with contribute to the connected health care system that puts patients and their families first.”

The Ontario government is providing $116.5 million to create up to 766 more beds at 32 hospitals and alternate health facilities across the province. This investment will help reduce surgical backlogs and improve access to care during COVID-19. The funding is in addition to the $2.8 billion the province is providing in the government’s COVID-19 fall preparedness plan.

The new beds announced today are in addition to the $234.5 million investment for 139 critical care beds and up to 1,349 hospital beds included in Ontario’s fall preparedness plan, Keeping Ontarians Safe: Preparing for Future Waves of COVID-19.

“This funding will allow the NBRHC, together with our partners in care, to create short term capacity while we adapt to provide the safest care for our patients during the COVID-19 pandemic.  This capacity is essential for patient flow within our hospital, and means we can continue to perform critically important surgeries without interruption,” said Paul Heinrich, CEO of NBRHC.

QUICK FACTS:

  • Ontario previously invested $741 million to help clear the backlog of surgeries and build more capacity in the health care system to effectively manage surges and outbreaks in COVID-19 cases.
  • To further support the health care system as it works to reduce surgical backlogs and improve access to care during the COVID-19 pandemic, Ontario released A Measured Approach to Planning for Surgeries and Procedures During the COVID-19 Pandemic, a comprehensive framework to help hospitals assess their readiness and begin planning for the gradual resumption of scheduled surgeries and procedures, while maintaining their ability to respond to COVID-19 and the flu season.
  • For additional protection, the Ontario government is encouraging everyone to download the new COVID Alert app on their smart phone from the Apple and Google Play app stores.

For more information, or to arrange an interview, contact:

Keri Buttle
Constituency Office
(705) 474-8340


Stay in Touch with Vic

Sign up for email updates to get the latest news from Queen's Park.