Ontario Celebrates Nipissing Farmers During Agriculture WeekOctober 7, 2019
NORTH BAY – MPP Vic Fedeli is celebrating farmers in Nipissing from October 7-13, 2019 in recognition of Agriculture Week.
Agriculture Week is an opportunity for the government to thank and show appreciation to hardworking farmers for growing and raising food that the people of Ontario enjoy throughout the year.
“Agriculture week is an excellent opportunity to celebrate our hardworking farmers,” said Fedeli. “Our government is proud to support Ontario’s agri-food industry. As major contributors to our province’s economy, let me encourage everyone to support our farmers and buy the good things that grow in Ontario.”
As you prepare for Thanksgiving this weekend, there are lots of ways to recognize and support Ontario’s farmers:
- Visit a farmers’ market, on-farm market, pick-your-own farm or farmgate. Check the map for a location close to you.
- Look for the Foodland Ontario logo when you’re shopping in local grocery stores to know you’re buying Ontario.
- Find a classic or try a new recipe for your Thanksgiving feast, check out these seasonal recipes featured by Foodland Ontario.
- Make it possible for other Ontario families to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal by donating food items, money or time to your local food bank, food program or another charitable organization.
Knowing where our food comes from and supporting those who grow, harvest and make it, strengthens our communities, supports a sustainable environment, creates jobs and boosts the economy.
- Ontario is home to almost 46,900 farms that grow more than 200 agricultural commodities.
- The province’s agri-food sector contributes $39.5 billion in GDP and supports 822,485 jobs.
- For more than 40 years, Foodland Ontario has connected with families on how to recognize, prepare and enjoy locally grown foods.
- To know when all your local fruits and vegetables are in season, visit Foodland Ontario’s Availability Guide.