Ontario Government Investing in Four North Bay Transit ProjectsJuly 30, 2019
NORTH BAY – Ontario is working to support municipalities and get people moving by investing in new transit infrastructure projects in North Bay.
Nipissing MPP Vic Fedeli announced today that four priority projects from the City of North Bay worth more than $900,000 in total are being nominated under the Public Transit stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP).
“These nominated projects will help people in North Bay spend less time commuting and more time doing the things they love with those they care about most,” said Fedeli.
The provincial contribution totals just more than $300,000 for transit terminal rehabilitation and improvements, improvements to specialized transit buses including installation of automated vehicle location systems and security cameras, and for bicycle racks and related storage areas.
The projects are now with the federal government for final funding decisions as they are reviewed for eligibility under the ICIP program.
“We’re excited to get shovels in the ground; these initiatives promise to make a real difference in people’s lives,” said Fedeli. “Now it’s up to the federal government to approve them.”
- The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program is a $30 billion, 10-year infrastructure program cost-shared between federal, provincial and municipal governments. Ontario’s share per project will be up to 33.33 per cent or about $10.2 billion spread across four streams: 1. Rural and Northern, 2. Public Transit, 3. Green, 4. Community, Culture and Recreation.
- Funding is allocated to transit systems based on a municipality’s or municipalities’ share of total transit ridership in Ontario as per the 2015 Canadian Urban Transit Association Fact Book. This allocations-based funding model was set by the federal government.
- These projects are from the first intake of ICIP applications from municipalities outside the GTHA. Some project applications from this intake are still under consideration by the province. The province intends to make more announcements from this intake soon. Information on additional intakes will be released when available.
- The combined investment from the federal, provincial and local governments for the 16 Region of Waterloo transit projects forwarded under the Public Transit stream would be more than $182 million.
- The government also nominated 15 major transit projects in the City of Toronto, Region of York and City of London to the federal government for approval, as well as 144 road, bridge, air and marine infrastructure projects under the Rural and Northern stream.