Ontario Supporting Employment Opportunities for Youth in NipissingJuly 11, 2019
Ontario’s government is working for the people of Northern Ontario by investing in job placements for young Northerners in Nipissing.
Today, Vic Fedeli, MPP for Nipissing, announced an investment of more than $435,000 in 17 internship positions. They include:
- $62,244 to Nipissing University to hire two interns, including an intern to provide research support for the Psychology of Physical Activity and Health Promotion Lab as well as an intern to co-ordinate the use of two labs and act as a liaison among other departments and the community
- $46,050 to the Callander Animal Hospital to hire two veterinary intern technicians
- $31,500 to GyroData Services Canada Inc. to hire and train a new graduate as a survey specialist intern
- $31,500 to Drillco Mining and Exploration to hire a mechanical engineering technologist intern to design 3-D models
- $31,500 to Knight Piesold Ltd. to hire a geotechnical engineer in training
- $31,500 to Blue Sky Animal Hospital to hire a veterinarian intern
- $31,499 to Tourism North Bay to hire a tourism product development specialist intern to help promote tourism in the area
- $28,958 to the North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation to hire a foundation administration intern to support the office and assist with fundraising events
- $28,080 to the Near North Palliative Care Network to hire a bereavement program intern to support the delivery of bereavement counselling services
- $26,676 to the North Bay Area Heritage Museum Society to hire an office administrator intern to support the annual activities of the Heritage Gardeners program
- $26,312 to Farquhar’s Orchards Fine Foods to hire a meat manager intern
- $24,570 to Nipissing Serenity Hospice to hire a fundraising campaign intern to implement a donor tracking system and work on fundraising initiatives
- $17,503 to Larmer Stickland PC law firm to hire an articling student intern
- $15,600 to Buckstone Inc., a manufacturer of stone giftware, to hire a digital marketing specialist intern
- $17,680 to Mattawa River Resort to hire a marketing intern to help promote and grow the eco tourism business..
“We are providing young Northerners with quality work placements to help them acquire valuable experience, develop their skills and build careers in the North,” said MPP Fedeli. “Attracting and retaining young workers strengthens the North’s competitiveness and sends a strong signal that Northern Ontario is open for business.”
- Since June 2018, the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation has invested more than $82 million in 539 projects, creating or retaining over 1,437 jobs.
- The Northern Ontario Internship Program helps create job placements for young people across the North.